[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
{}

Jacks Corner

a Chance for a few old Salts to Cackle

It is currently 12 Dec 2018 11:20

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: DIT"S AND BLACK CAT"S
PostPosted: 09 May 2007 13:40 

CPO CPO

G’day GUYS

I have often though about sending the story about the "Creature" that we all saw in the "Clyde Estuary" whilst we were running up and down there, being used as "Target and Safety Ship" for the 3rd submarine squadron.

I’m not sure who you could contact about this, I thought about the "National Geographic", or something similar, one day I might just do it, as the details are all on the ships log book, signed by every-one who saw it, I was on the wheel, my bosuns mate, telegraph operator, Officer of the watch, signal man, two lookouts, and a a guy from the plot, and their own description of what they saw, also their own opinion of the size and what it was that we all saw, and the "Log Books" are kept for a long, long time.

My non-sub branch was an asdic [sonar since they stopped the"TOT"] lol. operator, when we used to chase subs all over this estuary, and on different ships we used to hear some weird and wonderful things under water, weird echoes and false echoes. They had to come from something big, of course no-one ever thought that it could have been a creature like that one.

It’s not that long, since they first realised that there was a prehistoric fish living of the "Coast of "Madagascar" and it didn’t take too long to prove it’s existence when they put the money up to prove it being real, or otherwise.

I often watch these programs about underwater exploration with them using side scan sonar, and how it seems really difficult prove that what they can see on the sea bed will turn out to be.
If they were to use a simple depth sounder with an iodised paper trace on it, they could prove it in less than 15 minutes, and have a clear picture of what it is. How else would we have been able to work out if it was a wreck, or a submarine sitting on the bottom ?? and we didn’t have the comfort or the new fang-led sets that they have now. and that was obtained with the sets that I used to operate, almost 50 years ago They came of the secret list a few decades ago.

I was hoping that one of the guys who saw this thing, as well as me, were also subscribed to the "YARMOUTH AND JACKS CORNER" and would read this article and back it up, obviously they aren’t members or aren’t reading the "Royal Navy" threads. One day though I will send the info to "The National Geographic" as it would be really easy to trace it, and after reading the log book, they could make up their own minds. For as you will know, nothing frivolous can be written in the log book or you would be up on a charge.

So if any of the guys who were on the bridge ,or with me in the wheel house, (we could look out of the door on the ship) It was the officer of the watch who sung through the voice pipe to ask me what I thought about this creature that was swimming alongside us only twenty or thirty feet of us and keeping pace with us, so we all saw it for at least ten minutes.

It was during the first five minutes of dinner, so that no one had had their TOT to make us see something that wasn't there , only the guys who were on the bridge,or the wheel house, I don't know about the lifeboy sentry, I sit down and write the story when I'm feeling upto it.

regards doog
You can hurt some-ones feelings in two seconds, it can take two years to mend it. Remember that it's nice to be nice,and it's not showing weakness, it's showing strength of character.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 May 2007 22:10 

F/CPO F/CPO

Thats a very interesting story Pingy. We also had a similar
experience going up Lough Long towards Arochar. We were a
submarine on the surface, and all of us on the bridge saw it.
But, regarding the ships log, please refer to my comments today
in "15 British Prisoners in Iran" page 3.
Harry

Post subject: Dit's and Balck Cat's
PostPosted: 10 May 2007 05:48 

CPO CPO

G'day Harry.

Thanks for that information mate, it seems strange that all the logs were being burnt, I wonder why this was being done?? There must have been some underlying cause, as they are all history, I should hate to think that they weren't put onto micro chip,or film before they were destroyed.

The thing you all saw could have been the same thing we all saw, hell it was well over thirty feet long, when the OOW said to me through the voice pipe, can you see that huge seal swimming along side us, so I was watching it quite the thing, although the head didn't look like a seals head, then when it dived we could all see the legs/flippers/or whatever and this huge body and tail. it certainly shook us all up. When we turned the watch over to the afternoon watch keepers, we all had to go into the bridge, and write what we saw in the log book and sign it. then a pow wow, with the OOW and he put what he though everything we had said was nearest the facts, then we signed it again.

Put Nessie in a different light doesn't it ehhh??

pingbosun

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2007 11:13 

CPO CPO

Having just posted about grippo's in St Vincent I was reminded of the dit that I did whilst having to "sing for my supper"
at the Cockney Gentlemans free PU
This being the thread for "dits and black cats" I guess it is the most appropriate place to post it
I cnnot sing a note in tune so if ever called on for a "turn" at a sods opera or PU the I had to rely on monologues etc .
This one - if I can remember all of it - was an impersionation of a Naval Padre reading the Sunday lesson
and was delivered in the appropriate low sonorous monotone

THE ACTS OF JACK

Today being the second day after soap and tobacco issue the lesson will be read from The Acts
The Acts of Jack! taken from the third bottle in the fourth crate of Tiger
Jack, son of Na-abob, son of some RA-bob, son of The Pay-bob, who was a robbing bastard
Went ashore in that great city of Portsmouth and by the Guildhall he did meet with a woman thereof
She did wsay unto him "Jack wilst thou lay with me"? "Nay woman" quothe Jack "it is fabled
that the women of Guz are fairer than they of Pompey"
And so saying Jack bought a cheap day return to Plymouth
On entering the gates of that fair city (better known as North End Station)
Jack did meet with a woman thereof and she did say unto him"Jack - tarry ye" and yeah Jack did tarry
In fact he stayed all fckng night!
In the morning he did say unto the woman "woman what time is it" -"yeah Jack by the Dockyard clock 'tis ten to eight bells"
"Fck me" quothe Jack "adrift again" and set off with much haste for his ship
On the way Jack was called upon to take a train journey yeah long train journey (via Rosyth)
And in the end compartment, commonly called the shithouse ,Jack was set upon by bandits
Not ordinary bandits but arse bandits and they did rag, debag and shag him, robbed him of his rayment and drew lots for his burberry
And left him singing softly to himself "twinkle twinkle little rectum - big Knobs come when you least expect em"
Back on the ship jack was set upon by Jossites and Crusherites and they did cast him into the deepest dungeon - yeah even deeper (9 deck)
The next day Jack coming before that table, commonly known as Captains and calling nobody in his defence, except for the whole ships company
Jack was commanded to squeeze and yeah Jack squoze and a dirty great bubble arose aliken to a pussers pea
"Jack thou art possesed - possesed of the pox and must be banished for 28 days and 28 nights to be alone ( DQ'S)
So endeth the 1st lesson!

Strange - I can remember that from 40 years ago but can't remember how much money I borrowed from her indoors last night!!

Post subject: Dit's and black cat's
PostPosted: 10 May 2007 15:49 

CPO CPO

G'day Teuchter.

I'll pay that one mate, it was a wee cracker. I'll give it 10.

pingbosun

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2007 18:23 

CPO CPO

Thanks PingBosun - much obliged :oops:
I wonder what sods operas are like in todays mob - that is if they know what a sods opera is!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2007 18:42 

Commodore Commodore

The 'Fighting Ice Cream' (Cornwall - F99 - think about it, it actually the nickname of the ship, not mine unfortunately) did one in Iraq the other month about a Jenny several Jacks and some Booties - well it looked a right sod's opera to me!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2007 18:45 

Commodore Commodore

Hey Teuchter that woman of low electricity in Pompey wasn't my Mother in Law was it? sounds her style! good thing is she hates me and won't talk to me - there is a God after all!! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 May 2007 21:49 

CPO CPO

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 May 2007 08:21 

F/CPO F/CPO