{}

Jacks Corner

a Chance for a few old Salts to Cackle

It is currently 24 Oct 2018 04:37

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Parade Ground dit
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2008 01:54 

F/CPO F/CPO

We were having divisions in HMS Rooke and as per normal no one was interested apart from the gunnery staff, and we were in Gib so the interest value was a lot lower than normal.
Nice warm day and kinda dozing off while standing there, when I heard the XO shout really loud "YOU THERE THE TALL GOOD LOOKING ONE WITH THE FINGER UP HIS NOSE, GET OFF MY PARADE GROUND." Well any chance we had of taking this serious just went South, everybody started cracking up, :mrgreen: which just pissed the Jimmy off even more. No one had the guts to point out to him that it wasn't really a Parade Ground, we were fell in around the sunken garden outside the Senior Rates mess.
One of the more bearable divisions I had to suffer. :D

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Parade Ground dit
PostPosted: 26 Jan 2008 13:47 

CPO CPO

No such animal as "bearable Divisions" the two words just do not gel!! - a bit like "military intelligence" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2008 14:54 

CPO CPO

Teuchter wrote:
No such animal as "bearable Divisions" the two words just do not gel!! - a bit like "military intelligence" :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I came over all hot and bothered then DIVISIONS, I loved them, Every Friday on Whale Island parade ground, I was in charge of the flying angles. They used to do the running on the divisions march past to tell the officer his lot had to go round again ,or report to the drill office after divisions.Keep up with the talking dirty. :lol: :lol:

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2008 20:22 

Commodore Commodore

Yeah Divisions - a sport for the simple minded with nothing else to do or the ability to do it I believe!

Consisted of standing still for absolutely ages whilst so called grown men sceamed unintelligable words at anybody and everybody (very few of who were actually listening). Then at set intervals unknown to mere mortal men, groups of you would stomp around like demented chickens sans heads! All the while the band would play "stirring" music that made you want to rush to the side of the field and be violently sick!

Never ever could understand the need for divisions in a so called modern navy! (suppose it was OK if you wore a red jacket and carried amusket and had to stand still so the other bugger could hit you easier with his musket but otherwise.......)

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2008 23:35 

F/CPO F/CPO

We were having Ceremonial Divisions at HMS Collingwood, the biggest divisions I have ever had the misfortune to be stuck on, there must have been Thousands of us out there (well it seemed like it). The GI's were stomping around looking happy until the march past started. The first group to march off was the WREN's division, they went past the Dias in good order and as they approaced the end of the Parade ground the WREN two and a half ringer shouts out "WREN's Division into line Left wheel" there was around 60/70 WRENs and they just disintigrated some did a Left turn some wheeled the rest just sort of milled around or tried to join the Wheelers while others ran to join the turners. That was a crack up in itself, but to watch all the GI's on the parade ground suddenly sprinting and shouting at them, which only added to the confusion...Classic :D

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2008 19:18 

CPO CPO

Paul Bissett wrote:
We were having Ceremonial Divisions at HMS Collingwood, the biggest divisions I have ever had the misfortune to be stuck on, there must have been Thousands of us out there (well it seemed like it). The GI's were stomping around looking happy until the march past started. The first group to march off was the WREN's division, they went past the Dias in good order and as they approaced the end of the Parade ground the WREN two and a half ringer shouts out "WREN's Division into line Left wheel" there was around 60/70 WRENs and they just disintigrated some did a Left turn some wheeled the rest just sort of milled around or tried to join the Wheelers while others ran to join the turners. That was a crack up in itself, but to watch all the GI's on the parade ground suddenly sprinting and shouting at them, which only added to the confusion...Classic :D

I had a good over 6 months draft to H.M.S. Collingwood I was the killick of the sailing centre. That was down by the R.F.A. jetty home to duty every, day no duty watches. Messing about in boats or fishing all day.The only pity was it lasted for 6 months and 4 days, well drafty did say over 6 months, went from there to the Forth. Yes S.W.it was the Tynes sister ship.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be

PostPosted: 29 Jan 2008 19:33 

F/CPO F/CPO

While at Ganges (6 week wonder) my class won the Guard (dubious honour) I had been in the Navy a whole 5 weeks. We had a whole week of Guard training with the GI's and so far all they had done was shout and snarl.
Come the big day, there we were fell in in front of the Dias the Guard Commander dressed us and we whipped our arms back down to our sides. Well not quite, I whipped my arm back down as far as the Bayonet on the next guys Rifle, I looked round and there was the Bayonet sticking though my hand.
I let my rifle go and the GI in front of me sprang forward and caught it, as he did so he leaned in and whispered "Don't you dare bleed on my Parade ground" followed in a louder more caring voice for everyone to hear go on double away to Sick Bay.
I found out that day what GI's care most about. :wink:

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2008 07:45 

CPO CPO

Thats very eerie Paul!

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2008 20:42 

Killick Killick

8) afecking massive pipe band followed by another fecking massive pipe band followed by two pissed jocks in step with a carry oot fantastic :roll:

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2008 21:51 

CPO CPO

Ah Bomber you mean the Invergordon Games?